Cluj-Napoca, the capital of Transylvania, is a vibrant city that is sure to charm you. Named by Vogue Magazine one of the best destinations to travel to in 2018, it is a city with rich culture and many things to explore. Here is a list of top 10 things to do in Cluj-Napoca. Read below to find the best Cluj attractions as well as Cluj facts.
Top 10 things to do in Cluj-Napoca
1. Walk around the main city square
2. Go up on Cetatuie hill for a panoramic view of the city
If you want to move a bit away from the city hustle and bustle, the Cetatuie hill is one of the Cluj attractions ‘ with the most stunning view. Don’t miss the Pergola terrace, where you can admire the view while having a cold drink. There are stairs from the city center, but one can also take a taxi up.
3. Try the different theme-decorated cafés and restaurants
Cluj has many places with creatively designed themes. For example, Enigma is the world’s first kinetic steampunk pub, where a giant moving clock, metallic flowers, a robot and many rotating wheels take customers back to the industrial revolution decades. For other interesting designs, try visiting Samsara or Joben.
4. Eat the traditional city dish
Yes, there is even a traditional city dish: Varza a la Cluj. Roughly translated as Cabbage a la Cluj, it is a mixture of minced meat, vegetables, sour cream and, of course, cabbage. A little spicy and easy to prepare, it is definitely worth a try.
5. Row a boat in the central city park
The central park, the largest green space within the city, is perfect for an afternoon stroll. In addition, besides enjoying expositions at the casino building, visitors can rent a boat and row across the lake along with swans. Don’t miss cultural events such as Jazz in the Park.
6. Stroll around the botanical garden
7. Visit the ethnographic park
For visitors interested in history, traditions and local culture, the ethnographic Romulus Vuia museum is the place to go. It exhibits traditional houses, craftsman workshops as well as folk monuments and garments. These are grouped around the different regional establishments. For example, you can see one of the oldest wooden churches in Transylvania and exhibits dating back to 1678.
8. Go to a music event
9. Visit the Museum of Pharmacy
10. Take a scare in the Hoia Forest
Local legends claimed that the serene Hoia Forest bordering Cluj is a haunted place. Therefore, there are claims that trees change their shapes, UFO’s were seen and there is supernatural activity. While all this has no scientific base, a “scare” tour through the forest might get your heart pumping faster.
We hope you enjoyed our list of top 10 things to do in Cluj-Napoca as well as our short compilation of Cluj attractions. To read about things to do in Transylvania, go to our dedicated page.
In addition, to learn more about medical tourism in Cluj, go here.
For more information about our medical tourism company, go here. We offer
- 303.000 inhabitants
- 2000 years old
- Language: Romanian (a Latin language)
- 80.000 yearly students
- Capital of European Youth 2015
- Innovative IT cluster
- The friendliest City in Europe -according to an EU Commision survey 91% of the locals have a positive perspective of foreigners
- The best air quality in Europe
- Considered one of the 12 cities to shake up the art world in the 21st century
- Number 26th safest cities in the world
- High quality of living (nr. 56 worldwide)
Top 10 Cluj attractions according to Tripadvisor
- Cheile Turzii gorge
- Central Park
- King Matthias Corvin Statue
- St. Michael’s Church
- Botanical Garden
- Cetatuia Hill
- Museum Square
- Cluj Arena
- National Theater
- National Ethnographic Park